Monday 25 July 2011

WILTT - 25/07/11

TODAY.

Began with some new party music. Some mornings I feel like playing mood relevant music, others I feel like having a party in my half awake head. Including a rather alarmingly and surprisingly effective mix of the late Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good". Check it out.


That Wynter Gordon track is now in my top 25 most played on iTunes. What else... Oh yes, the new Washed Out record finally grew on me! It's the slow burning intensity of "Amor Fati" that really stands out I think. And whilst we're on the subject of music growing on me, the new Metronomy record FINALLY makes sense as well... for a record that so many people praised en masse, my first listens gave me little to go on apart from some humble beats and mumbled melodies... and this was supposed to be dance music?! But finally I get it. The hooks are there, you just need to stop looking for them, and they find you. Like the twilight zone growls and subtley gorgeous chorus of "She Wants".


But I have a track of the day. Oh yes. Thanks to Pitchfork.com for introducing me to the new M83 track. After assuming they were My Bloody Valentine for the synthpop generation, this newie from (to me at least) out-of-the-blue new record, due in October, totally quashes that. This is no hazy dream. That squawking vocal(?) hook and shamelessly French House beats means that M83 evidently got over their teen angst, and discovered the dancefloor. I GUARANTEE this hook will not leave your head for days. Yes, I am still talking about M83.

So yes... this is my TOTD.
M83 - MIDNIGHT CITY

No comments:

Post a Comment