Saturday 9 July 2011

What I listened to today #4.

TODAY.

Listened to a little EP by a young singer, alias Ghosts You Echo. Now I lose count of the amount of solo female singers or female fronted dirge pop projects, fragile, folky, female voices not really doing it for me these days, but this girl, real name Victoria Wijeratne (she should have kept her original name I think), has a certain level of creativity and ingenuity that kept me so interested I listened to the whole thing. But "Erika" is the best track, a bombastic folk-tinged (but not led) Florence & the Mo anthem. If you youtube it, don't search for the live version, it's a let down. But then again I hate acoustic sets. Generally.



What else? Oh yea, Foals' first album, "Antidotes", quite perky for first thing in the morning. Got a bit of Wild Beasts in there as well, so was eyeing up people on my way to work, biting my lip suggestively. "Plaything" is the worst for that.



Later on, I treated myself to the majestic caveman post-rock of WU LYF. The vocals are almost unbearably harsh, yet the music is almost unbearably beautiful... it IS almost unbearable. And that's why it's so good. White Lies' "Ritual" followed, it's not nearly as bad as all that, the sheer anthemic blast of those first four songs make me want to STAND ON A MOUNTAIN TOP... I guess I've just got bad taste.

Track of the day? Definately...
WU LYF - L Y F

"I LOVE YOU FOREVERRRR" > Fucking incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment