Sunday 10 July 2011

What I listened to today #5.

TODAY.

Since I've been back all I seem to do is talk indie, and since the blog is actually called Give "POP" A Chance, this morning I felt I owed it to myself to actually give some pop a chance, so I chose Natalia Kills. There's a lot to criticize about her, and given her previous incarnation as sub-Lady Sovereign Brat Verbalicious, it's fair to say her 'horror-pop' reinvention as Natalia Kills is as manufactured as it gets.

And yet, somehow, Ms Kills is convincing as this schizophrenic, shallow, narcissistic and occasionally homicidal character that her album "Perfectionist" portrays, manufactured or not. And yes, it sounds a lot like Lady Gaga's debut, but instead of a diva breaking free from her manufacturers, Natalia Kills seems to be this troubled, suppressed girl, struggling to fight for this fame she obsesses over, even trying to break free of the autotune that traps her voice. One particular highlight is the schlock-horror histronics of "Love Is A Suicide".



At work I treated myself to the Spice Girls and remembered how good "Say You'll Be There" is. Yes, I'm serious. And remember "If You Wanna Have Some Fun"? Nope, didn't think so, it's a lost gem.



On the way home I listened to The Knife's "Silent Shout" record to boost my credibility for the day, but after a day of pop-on-the-brain, thumping album bangers "Like a Pen" and the AWESOME "We Share Our Mother's Health" were the ones that really did the trick. Perfect for dingy, dirty house parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment