Wednesday 7 September 2011

WILTT - 07/09/11

TODAY.

Fleet Foxes made an appearance on my iPod, and I was pleasantly surprised. Before listening to their self-titled debut, I was expecting a folkier Mumford and Sons, with no drums, chirpy strumming and in your face hey-diddle-diddle singing. Well, yes, Fleet Foxes are all of that at times, but there's a magic about their music, and an airiness, that makes their bite sized nu folk ditties sound spacious and welcoming, rather than irritating and alienating. Opener "Sun it Rises" is particularly charming, with huge harmonies exploding out of their humble arrangement, and tribal drums softly pounding. I look forward to giving "Helplessness Blues" a whirl.



Something rather novelty I also found today. Reggae covers of Nirvana's "Nevermind" by an artist called Little Roy. The classic album is due to be reissued on the 26th, so this is a nice reminder of just how good these songs are, whatever their arrangement. I personally think that this version of "About A Girl" was meant to be. Which version do you prefer, this or the original?





My song of the day though? A song I have not given enough credit until now. I suddenly realised when listening to this on the way home, that it is in fact one of the best pop songs of the year. Intense, timeless and beautiful, think "Unfinished Symphony" for the 21st century.

EMELI SANDE - HEAVEN

No comments:

Post a Comment