Monday 26 September 2011

Popdar! - 26/09/11

#38 + #39
"Boys of Paradise" + "True Love Fantasy"
Unicorn Kid

Taken from "Tidal Rave EP"

There is nothing better than music that genuinely excites me. A brief (bed bound, I'm unwell) new music session unveiled nothing expectional, except for this. Unicorn Kid make Balearic dance music that refuses to be ignored. There's a lot of pleasant but ignorable Balearic dance these days, but Unicorn Kid have nothing in common with these bands, drawing the gorgeous sense of beach-bound escapism of French melodic masters Air France and ripping through it a raging Crystal Castles energy, particularly on the raging euro-synth highs of "Boys of Paradise", which bounces along at such a pace that makes Owl City comparable to Leonard Cohen.



It's "True Love Fantasy" that's the hit here though. Taking the generic wall-o'-synth chord procession that we've heard a million times this year in the pitiful charts, and filing every soft edge to a hazardous point, as rebellious youths shout out rallies and chants as the track builds to a glorious early 90s rave bliss.


I would say this is something incredible for me. 2011 has been decidedly 'good' as opposed to 'great', but finally I have something I can gladly say has given me faith. Music's not dead yet, if you look you'll find life. BUZZING. If you'll excuse me I'm off to discover everything else he's ever done.



No comments:

Post a Comment