Wednesday 5 January 2011

Top 20 Albums of 2010 (In Brief) and 5 ARTISTS FOR 2011!

There comes a time when frankly a year should be put to rest, the christmas tree taken down, and NEW music embraced. So no blurbs for these, but just 20 honorary (and very much ordered) mentions for my favourite albums of 2010.


TOP 20 ALBUMS OF 2010
20 Rihanna - Loud
19 Vampire Weekend - Contra
18 Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
17 Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
16 Rumer - Seasons of my Soul
15 Four Tet - Love Cry
14 Kelis - Flesh Tone
13 Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
12 Delphic - Acolyte
11 Stornoway - Beachcomber's Windowsill
10 Tyler, The Creator! - Bastard
9 Antony & The Johnsons - Swanlights
8 Hurts - Happiness
7 Sleigh Bells - Treats
6 Delorean - Subiza
5   Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II
4   Robyn - Body Talk
3   The Depreciation Guild - Spirit Youth
2   Beach House - Teen Dream
1   Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here


There we are then, lovely. So that my friends is a cap on 2010. Anathema gave me hope, Robyn gave me emotional support and Rihanna gave me the ultimate drinking anthem. Time to see what 2011 brings eh? I have a few ideas.


Now I've realised I'm hardly the zeitgeist for guessing what will be big, only what will be good. I mean, my tip for 2010 was Owl City, and that was hardly a suggestion that deserves recalling much now. But still, with regards to whose records I am looking forward to MOST this year, the 5 listed hear are the ones who fit that bill the best, and I reckon together they could define my 2011. Partially. I seem to swear by different artists every month. (Robyn being the exception this last year, but that's only because she never fucked off, praise the lord).

Oh and Lady Gaga and Britney Spears don't feature. This is new stuff bitches. Although I'm sure both those high-maintenance divas will create partially brilliant and partially awful records that I also wet myself with excitement at the prospect of hearing.

5 MOPP.
Trancey electronic dance music that is shamefully rarely heard these days.
For fans of: Above & Beyond, Tiesto, Chicane, Ferry Corsten



4 Jessie J
A new bitch with attitude and more talent than can possibly be contained. Is it R&B, is it Electro? Is it good? Perhaps, perhaps, YES.
For fans of: Rihanna, Beyonce, Ciara, Ke$ha



3 Katy B
The first lady of dubstep has simply got to release a solo record in 2011. Guarantee it will be laid back, dirty and irresistable.
For fans of: Magnetic Man, Ms Dynamite, Skream



2 James Blake
Who says Trip Hop is dead? Dubby beats that rustle and click underneath a plethora of quirky instruments and samples, and occasionally rather beautiful songs, James Blake is definately one to watch this year.
For fans of: Portishead, Massive Attack, Eskmo, Caribou
(Show "Limit to your Love")



1 The Naked & Famous
The Killers could only dream of writing tunes this big. Dancey, euphoric and delightfully over the top, The Naked & Famous could play their cards right and release the album of 2011. I understand it's currently leaked but I REFUSE to pander to this.
For fans of: Passion Pit, Bloc Party, Fenech-Soler, The Killers

No comments:

Post a Comment