Monday 29 August 2011

WILTT - 28/08/11

TODAY.

I realised I have been so slack, no posts in 11 days! Erk. Anyway, as with every day, I listened to Bon Iver's "Bon Iver" and am delighted to say that it seems to be turning out to be what I call a "Kid A"... in that it reveals something new with every listen. And another similarity with that album is that the lyrics make no damn sense. But every now and again, you come across a lyric that you didn't make out before, a lyric that suddenly makes sense and becomes incredibly poignant and beautiful. And they are scattered throughout the record.

"Holocene" is a daydream put to words, but the phrases "And at once I knew I was not magnificent" and "I could see for miles, miles, miles" are all you need to understand the beauty outside of ourselves that the song is trying to describe. "Beth/Rest", despite it's Phil Collins musical exterior, is a bunch of gibberish until you reach the line "I ain't living in the dark no more, it's not a promise, I'm just gonna call it" which takes you completely off guard, and is just about one of the most emotional moments on the record. Anyway, I cannot see how any other album this year could top "Bon Iver", an opaque, weird, distant, yet peaceful record that is like nothing released in years. Enjoy the breathtaking "Holocene" video.



Lowering the tone somewhat, I came across this. Weebl goes all New Order.


And something from me. My musical friend Zak Palmer has returned to music, and so I thought nothing better than to collaborate. Enjoy. :)
Zak Palmer - Maybe Anyday Now (JC's Maybe Today Remix) by JoeCopplestone

Track of the day?
BON IVER - HOLOCENE



No comments:

Post a Comment