Saturday 14 August 2010

Popdar #2 - The Saturdays Remix, Royksopp and a bit of Cheryl for old times' sake.

A rather spontaneous entry for a hungover mind, but this weekend I'm actually not feeling indie. What with my current dreamy Brighton beach love of Best Coast, Depreciation Guild, The Drums and the like, that has clung to me tighter than spray-on skinny jeans, I think I've O-Ded on clangy guitars and lyrics about getting high with friends. So I think it's time for a bit of a detox.

What I want this weekend is pulsing beats and euphoric eurochord slabs at Night and fiddly, chilled electronics for the comedown. So I give you, rather coyly, The Saturdays... but not as we know them. Missing You is great, don't get me wrong, you've gotta love The Saturdays, sweet as cherry pie on the surface, but actually moderately psychotic underneath. We've had "don't know if I should stab you or kiss you", now we are treated to "I miss hurting you til you cry". A moment's silence, if you will, for The Saturdays' ever suffering lovers. (Except for Marvin from JLS... he can suffer for being a part of the worst number 1 single of the year.)

And when the silence is done, treat yourself to the Cahill remix of Missing You. I went slightly unexpectedly crazy over their regal euphoric dance treatment of Cheryl Cole's Fight For This Love last year; they managed to turn something rather unimaginative into something celebratory and peerlessly uplifting. With The Saturdays' latest, they plug the 1990s to us, and turn the thunderous ballad into a considerably lighter, bouncier eurodance track that could well have won Eurovision circa 1996.




You know what? That's got me in the mood to relive the version of Fight for this Love that REALLY fights. So here it is.




Phew, I'm tired after all that overenthusiastic limb-flailing. Didn't do much for the noggin either. So let's chill to the masters of chill, Royksopp. Senior is out on September 6th (my copy is already pre-ordered bitches), and by the sounds of things, Royksopp are returning to their roots. Junior was neither nowt nor sumut to me, hints of commercial dance, but not enough commitment to the cause to really make it work. I find myself still returning to Melody A.M. and wondering what was wrong with that formula.

Evidently, Royksopp wonder that themselves, as The Drug, the first track to be released from Senior, is as hypnotic and mesmerising as Eple or Royskopp's Night Out. It's by no means a rehash though. Hints of Kaskade flow through it, as the fluffy cloud chords glide over an irresistibly funky click-clap-stop-start beat. For the first time in a decade, it seems Royksopp have realised that they don't need to do anything fancy to create a good record. Just lay down one or two wonderful elements, surround it in electronic mystery, and voila: you have something quite special.

No comments:

Post a Comment