Saturday 26 February 2011

Popdar #17: Conor Maynard

Now this is cheese beyond cheese. I normally don't endorse this kind of American Idol schmaltz, cutesiness and sentiment, but something just clicks here. Jessie J's "Price Tag" hardly knocked me off my feet, but here, sung soulfully and impressively by YouTube sensation Conor Maynard, the song itself is laid bare. With just a lonely piano for backing, and the lyrics focused on, suddenly the whole anti-greed-in-the-music-industry premise of the song is a whole lot more believable. Although this track will hardly "make the world dance", I was hardly moving my feet much to Jessie's uncharacteristically dull backing track, so at least here the message can be appreciated. And it's actually a pretty good song after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment